The Ballard Community School District - Encompassing approximately 85 square miles, with a district population of almost 7000 residents. The communities of Cambridge, Huxley, Kelley and Slater came together in 1957 and formed the Ballard Community School District. The first graduating class was 1959. The name Ballard is derived from a creek that once flowed throughout the District. Ballard Community School District is located in the "Golden Circle" 10 miles south of Ames and 20 miles north of Des Moines. Its location provides the opportunities of small town living while enjoying access to metropolitan activities.